5 Paw-pular Sustainable Products for Dog Parents
Friday, February 12, 2021 10:40:31 AM America/Los_Angeles
Sustainability is in and we couldn’t be more excited to see the pet industry and pet paw-rents alike embracing eco-friendly pet products! Sustainability has innumerable perks--least of which is helping preserve our environment. Eco-friendly pet products have long-lasting benefits such as reducing the amount of waste that goes into landfills and providing healthier and more natural alternatives for your pup. In this post, we suggest 5 paw-pular eco-friendly pet products to get you started on your sustainability journey!
Photo by @rosie_pom
- Bark Potty: Plastic pee pads are one of the environmental pitfalls of having a dog. Needed but incredibly harmful to the earth, plastic pee pads seem like necessary evil. But all is not lost! Products like Bark Potty offer an eco-friendly alternative to plastic. Bark Potty is made from sustainably sourced mulch and donates 1% of its sales to One Tree Planted, an organization that utilizes proceeds to plant trees and remedy deforestation. Plus, one Bark Potty can last up to a month and does not require cleaning. There’s no reason not to make the switch!
- Treats made from sustainable proteins: More and more manufacturers are turning to sustainable proteins. Polkadog is one such company that makes sustainable dog treats that seems to be a fan favorite among dogs! Not only are sustainable proteins more earth-friendly, they also provide unique nutrients for sustainable dog treats that conventional proteins might lack.
- Cedarcide: Pests are an inevitable part of having a dog. As the weather gets warmer and you and your pup begin venturing out, fleas, ticks, and other bugs are likely to find their way into your home even if you do use flea treatments. Cedarcide is a pet-safe repellent that is also naturally sourced! Rather than use sprays with harmful chemicals that are not only unsafe for your dog but the earth, utilize eco-friendly pet products like this spray that is made from natural cedarwood oil.
- Bamboo toothbrush: Toothbrushes are another disposable product that are made from plastic, a material that adds to already overwhelmed landfills. Opting for a sustainable alternative, like a biodegradable toothbrush made from bamboo, means reducing the amount of plastic waste that can take centuries to break down.
- Toys made from recycled materials: Having fun shouldn’t have to equal harming our environment. Many dog toys are now made with sustainable materials such as hemp, recycled fiber fill, and hemp. Cotton and hemp are thought to be eco-friendly because they grow quickly without requiring too many resources.
Check out additional ways to make being a dog paw-rent more sustainable!