When Dogs Eat Something They Shouldn't – Bark Potty

Take 15% off your first Large Bark Potty subscription order with the code PUPPY15!

When Dogs Eat Something They Shouldn't

It probably hasn’t been too long since you’ve had to scold your pup from chewing on a houseplant or noshing on a pair of old shoes. Dog pawrents everywhere know that canines aren’t necessarily known for their selective palates. But what happens when you find out that your fur baby has consumed something iffy? Whether it’s a toxic plant during the holidays or a chocolate-y weekday treat, below are some tips on how to handle your doggo when they eat something they shouldn’t. 

Photo by James Barker

Toxic Plants

Houseplants are more popular than ever, and this makes toxic plants a much more common threat as well. The ASPCA has a list of safe, unsafe, and toxic plants as well as the potential symptoms of their consumption. If the plant cannot be identified and toxicity is suspected, contact the vet or an animal poison control center immediately. 

Inedible Objects

Relatively safe items like, say a crumpled receipt, can likely be overlooked. If it’s something a bit more iffy like a chunk off the sole of your slippers, keep an eye on the pee pad to make sure your dog passes it. Having a pet potty like Bark Potty helps to do so. For anything more questionable–string, sharp objects, and so on–check in with your vet. 

Bones in Food Scraps

As delicious as a drumstick may be, the bone underneath can pose a safety hazard for canines. Broken bones and bone shards can result in intestinal obstruction or even puncture, either of which could be fatal. Even if you’re aware of potential symptoms, they may appear much too late. Contact your vet right away to guide you on proper actions. 

Chocolate, Garlic, and Other Ingredients

These ingredients are yummy for us but toxic for dogs. Unfortunately, they’re also a very common part of human foods. While your pup may not be caught chomping on a whole bulb of garlic, it’s very possible that they could get their paws on a toasty piece of garlic bread. Depending on the amount consumed, it may or may not be an emergency. The vet or animal poison control center can instruct you on whether or not what they’ve eaten warrants a trip to the vet. 

When in doubt, always contact your vet immediately. They’ll be able to help you decide the proper course of action. Meanwhile, have a wee wee pad easily accessible in case whatever was ingested causes any tummy issues. 

Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.

Continue Browsing